The Village of Alert Bay, located on Cormorant Island in Upper Johnstone Strait, is the gateway to the Broughton Archipelago. The Village is the oldest municipality in the Northern Vancouver Island Region and boasts a rich Pioneer and First Nations cultural heritage. The Village works closely with the ‘Namgis First Nation through the “Historic Alert Bay Accord” in the governance of and delivery of services to Cormorant Island. The 1,300 residents of Cormorant Island enjoy services including a hospital, medical and dental clinics, boat harbour, paved airport, extensive trail network, and BC Ferries service.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer as a key member of the senior management team, the Deputy CAO must have a solid understanding of municipal accounting including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and reconciliation of General Ledger accounts. Experience with parliamentary procedures, and BC Municipal Legislation including but not limited to the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act and Robert’s Rules of Order is an asset.
Desired qualifications include:
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills- must tactfully and professionally deal with various levels of government officials, members of the public, and fellow employees
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience consulting the public; working with councils, boards, committees, commissions and the community
- Experience working with budgets, spreadsheets and municipal accounting – CFO duties will comprise a significant portion of the role.
- Able to meet the pressures of deadlines as required.
- Muniware knowledge an asset.
- Experience in public sector corporate administration, preferably in the municipal sector – Corporate Officer duties will comprise a significant portion of the role.
The Village of Alert Bay has an excellent benefit package and the salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and prior experience. For more information on the community and the position, please visit www.alertbay.ca.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding leadership role, forward your resume and cover letter with a minimum of three (3) related references to James R. Craven & Associates, by 4:00 PM on Friday, May 26, 2017.
A Supplementary Package can be obtained from the consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits plan, and details of the competitive compensation. Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
James R. Craven and Associates Ltd.
The Village of Alert Bay thanks all applicants for their interest in applying for this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted