The Village of Alert Bay, located on Cormorant Island in Upper Johnstone Strait, is the gateway to the Broughton Archipelago. The Village is the oldest municipality in the Northern Vancouver Island Region and boasts a rich Pioneer and First Nations cultural heritage. The Village works closely with the ‘Namgis First Nation through the “Historic Alert Bay Accord” in the governance of and delivery of services to Cormorant Island. The 1,300 residents of Cormorant Island enjoy services including a hospital, medical and dental clinics, boat harbour, paved airport, extensive trail network, and BC Ferries service.
With projects underway including implementation of the joint 'Tides of Change' strategy and infrastructure upgrades, the Village needs a strong leader to ensure the resiliency of the local government organization across several business lines: local government administration, public works, boat harbour (municipal and federal), property management, auto insurance sales, and more.
Council is seeking a candidate to work closely with and report directly to mayor and council.
- Several years of local government experience in a senior administrative role.
- Strong credentials in local government finance is essential - CFO duties will comprise a significant portion of the role.
- Fluency with the Community Charter and Local Government Acts of BC - Corporate Officer duties will comprise a significant portion of the role.
- Understanding of infrastructure works and project management, drinking water systems, plus ability to identify and pursue funding for potential infrastructure capital projects.
- Develop/institute policies and regulations, and provide strategic advice and direction for traffic, solid waste, drinking water, sanitary and storm sewage systems.
- A proven ability working proactively with councils, other governments, First Nations, the public, and business sectors.
- The proven ability to work successfully in and foster a team environment.
- Ability to perform in a constantly challenging work environment.
- Muniware knowledge is an asset.
The preferred candidate will possess a relevant University degree and/or certificates or diplomas relating to Local Government Administration together with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a management and supervisory role in a municipal setting.
The Village of Alert Bay has an excellent benefit package and the salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and prior experience. For more information on the community and the position, please visit www.alertbay.ca.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding leadership role, forward your resume and cover letter with a minimum of three (3) related references to James R. Craven & Associates, by 4:00 PM on Friday, May 26, 2017.
A Supplementary Package can be obtained from the consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits plan, and details of the competitive compensation. Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
James R. Craven and Associates Ltd.
The Village of Alert Bay thanks all applicants for their interest in applying for this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.