The Village of Alert Bay is seeking an experienced Deputy Chief Administrative Officer (Deputy CAO).
The Village of Alert Bay, located on Cormorant Island in Upper Johnstone Strait, is the gateway to the Broughton Archipelago. The Village is the oldest municipality in the Northern Vancouver Island Region and boasts a rich Pioneer and First Nation cultural heritage. The Village works closely with the ‘Namgis First Nation through the ‘Historic Alert Bay Accord’ in the governance of and delivery of services to Cormorant Island. The 1,300 residents of Cormorant Island enjoy services including a hospital, medical and dental clinics, boat harbour, paved airport, extensive trail network, and BC Ferries service.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer as a key member of the senior management team, the Deputy CAO responsibilities include, but are not limited to: performing the statutory role of corporate officer as set out in the Community Charter including the preparation of agendas, minutes, correspondence and research for all meetings of Council; archivingminutes of other meetings, bylaws and other records of the business of the local government; providing access to records, certifying bylaws and other documents; administering oaths and affirmations, declarations and affidavits. You will have a good understanding of municipal accounting including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and reconciliation of General Ledger accounts. Experience with parliamentary procedures, and BC Municipal Legislation including but not limited to the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act and Robert’s Rules of Order is an asset. In addition, this position will involve ICBC auto insurance and Driver Licensing.
Desired qualifications include:
- Strong Organizational Skills
- Excellent Problem Solving Skills
- Excellent Interpersonal skills- must tactfully and professionally deal with various levels of government officials, members of the public, and fellow employees
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience consulting the public, working with councils, boards, committees, commissions and the community
- Experience working with Budgets, spreadsheets and municipal accounting
- Proficient computer skills and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Being able to meet the pressures of deadlines as required
- Experience in Municipal Information Systems (Muniware) an asset
- Experience in public sector corporate administration, preferably in the Municipal sector, is desirable.
The successful candidate will have the equivalent of a certificate in Local Government Administration or a minimum of three (3) years experience at the corporate officer level.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding leadership role, forward your resume with a minimum of three (3) related references and a brief cover letter by 4:00pm on Tuesday, December 1st to:
Justin Beadle, CAO
The Village of Alert Bay
Bag Service 2800
Alert Bay, BC
DEADLINE: 4:00 PM December 1, 2015.
Only those candidates who are short-listed for interview will be contacted.